Monday 7 September 2020

LOCKDOWN LIFE


Restaurant La Terrasse à Etterbeek - Menu, avis, prix et réservation


Avenue of the Celts


Corona Virus has been yet another nail in the coffin for this food blogger.  First diabetes - there goes the dessert course - now this.  Half the restaurants in Brussels have closed.    On the other hand, I don't get out much and I didn't before.  I have been out maybe three times with a small select group of friends since lockdown, under carefully orchestrated social distancing conditions, and a couple of times to friends' gardens.   I have done no entertaining. 

Being a keen cook, I have not made great use of takeaways apart from the local pizzeria, and for that I apologise to local businesses.  But the young lad upstairs does.  When I see an Uber bike pull up in front of the house, I just point upwards to indicate which bell to ring. 

I do venture out occasionally for a bit of exercise and try to vary my route.  On my perambulations I find much has changed.  New buildings have sprung up, the construction industry carrying on as if nothing has changed.  Some restaurants have closed down, but some new ones have opened in areas where I haven't been for a while.  I visit them vicariously, making mental notes for better times.  

Avenue des Celtes, between Merode and place St Pierre, is becoming quite the mini Latin quarter.  Flanked at the top by twin classic Belgian institutions La Terrasse and Carpe Diem, it now boasts 2 Lebanese takeaways and a slightly more upmarket Lebanese eat-in B.Saj,  Vietnamese pho shop Hanoi Station which also does authentic banh mi sandwiches to eat in or take away, Capoue Italian ice cream, and Greek restaurant Ellinikon.  I sometimes pop into Smak the Polski sklep for some kabanosy, those long thin salami type sausages that are delicious with dill pickles, and try to practice my Polish on the cashier.  "Dzien dobry!"  I greet her cheerfully, to which she will snarl:  "Pośpiesz się, nie mam całego dnia", whereupon I will reluctantly revert to French.  There is also a Polish tea room Mademoiselle Meringue serving Polish cakes like real cheesecake.  The organic grocery The B
arn is on the place St Pierre, and a few minutes walk away in rue des Boers is French boulangerie-patisserie Gateau.  The baker is French and makes the best baguette in Brussels in my book.  You have to get there early mind, there is often a queue, especially on weekends, and he is usually sold out by 11 a.m.  He is one of the few patissiers, along with Fleur de Pain at place Flagey, to make real chocolate eclairs with chocolate cream filling and also sometimes has chouquettes, those lighter than air sugary puff things, and fougasse bread.  (Etymologists note fougasse - foccaccia - from the same root).


===================

Eat falafel, help a refugee

Syrian food is very similar to Greek, Turkish, Egyptian, Israeli, Lebanese and generally all Eastern Mediterranean cuisine.  Flatbreads, minced lamb, salads, yoghurt, chick peas, falafel.  But each country has their own take on the dishes, with their own blends of spices, often jealously guarded.  To be fair, it would take a local to distinguish between Lebanese and Syrian food, which is why they often feature on the same menu.  Syrian street food is simple, easy to eat standing up, and nutritious, and a welcome alternative to the dubious benefits of the Doner kebab or gyros.  Veggies and vegans can also enjoy a falafel, chick pea fritters in a flatbread.  

Syrian refugees don't let the grass grow under their feet.  Most of them are well educated professionals, and so it is no surprise that the first chain of Syrian/Lebanese restaurants is already established in Brussels, under the label My Tannour.  Modern, affordable meze and wraps served in clean, light and airy premises, with of course takeaway and delivery on offer at the present time. 

There are branches in Ixelles and St Gilles, and an outlet at Wolf food market downtown.  


98 rue de la brasserie, 1050 ixelles

36 avenue Adolphe Demeur, 1060 Saint-Gilles





Reviews

https://be.gaultmillau.com/restaurant/my-tannour